31 May 2009

Ave Moi and Happy Birthday to me

Few weeks back we went to see Asterix at the Olympic Games and Alain Delon played Julius Caesar. He kept hitting his chest with his right fist and declared: "Ave moi!"
That's sums it up for me today. Total for the week: 91.08ks - new record.

At least today, as yesterday I was a bit in the doldrums. Whilst I did close to 35ks, I was really struggling for the first 28k - courtesy of having slept in on Thursday and not having time to do intervals until Friday. They really took it out of me and I was not happy yesterday morning.

Today's my birthday and I "celebrated" by doing a dash around Kings Park - 12ks in under an hour at level 2, no wonder I'm happy.

Monday: Hills (Mount St x 8) 13.42ks - mentally quite tough after about the sixth time staring at that hill;
Tuesday: Medium long run 18.64ks, of which 8ks <5min/ks quite comfortably - which is a possible MP. Quite a good effort considering I donated blood (platelets) in the morning;
Wednesday: Rest;
Thursday: Woke up to the alarm and promptly fell asleep again - busy at work and had my mind on other things anyway;
Friday: Intervals, ladder as last week 12.04ks;
Saturday: Long run 34.82ks;
Sunday: Felt like an easy run 12.15ks.

Next week will be easy. Wednesday to Friday I will be on camp with junior and I won't bother taking any running gear with me. I'm planning on doing close to 70ks and then another hard week before starting the taper.

I'm not committing to a goal time for the marathon just yet, but given that I still lack speed, I doubt I'll go for anything faster than 3:30. Let's see how I go in the half and then I'll assess it again.

6 comments:

Sling Runner said...

I always struggle the following days after intervals. Nevertheless, a good week with various intensities (long runs, intervals, hills, medium runs)

Clown said...

Happy birthday. Another nice week, you are building nicely, hop on the 3.30 bus.

Clown said...

When I say hop on the 3.30 bus, hop on there for first couple ok km and then blow it away, I can see a pb coming up.

homo said...

Thanks Clown, seems like good advice, I'll see how I go.

Epi said...

Looking good old man

You'll have to check your competition in your age category in the marathon!

trailblazer777 said...

Happy Birthday..those mount street repeats sound like a pretty awesome effort. what a week!