14 June 2009

Humpty Dumpty becomes a Centurion

Well, what a couple of weeks it has been.

Last week was nothing to write home about. The first couple of days I was very busy at work due to taking off three days on camp in the second part. Felt a bit fluey and having a young boy who does sports and gets in contact with those western suburb bubble kids I thought I'd hold back.

Anyway, got one run in all week and after we got back from Waroona (boy, it gets cold there - the windchill is off the scale) it took me two days to warm up.

But I was rested and was looking forward to a good week before going into taper:
Monday - Tempo 21.93 at 3:20 MP HR 153
Tuesday Recovery/Medium Long 15:41 HR 137 - managed to stop Epi as he was flying past me - boy, is he fast!
Wednesday - Rest for the old bones;
Thursday - Intervals 400 to 1600 pyramid, decent improvement over the last lot two weeks ago, but the quads were sore afterwards;
Friday - Rest for the old muscles;
Saturday - Long run 35.22k HR 136 - quads were still sore but otherwise was feeling very good. Tripped at Lovers' Lane in Peppy Grove at 12ks and got pretty smashed up, right knee and hands all bloody, bruised left thigh, arm and shoulder but wasn't going to let that stop me.
All I thought was how much I hate hitting the ground and if it wasn't going to kill me it would make me strong. Going home was going to be 12ks anyway, so I might as well do the further 23k I had intended. I did get some odd looks running up Cottesloe with the right leg and hands all bloody... Forerunner looks like the dog had chewed on it, but seems to be working alright.
Mentally I was feeling much better than two weeks ago and apart from the pain of the fall itself, I felt comfortable and quite strong to the end.
Sunday: Had to work and was quite sore all over (quite apart from the supporating sores). I thought I would just go out for an easy run to see which bits were about to fall apart. But nothing did!
By the time I was at UWA I felt like giving it a push and went below MP to the Bells and back. Easy cool down home again and presto: 100.28k for the week.
Right knee needs a bit of attention and left thigh and shoulder are also still sore, but otherwise everything is working quite nicely.

Now to the hard part: taper. Will do the HM on Sunday and at least one heavy interval session, otherwise just put in a couple of runs looking for a good turnover.

Who's in for carbo loading on Independence Day?

5 comments:

Clown said...

Well done on reaching the century, great effort. Ouch re the fall.

Good luck for the HM, Epi and I are going to do a slow 30km instead.

Re Dinner, open for suggestions, maybe Friday, instead of Sat but can suss that out a bit later.

Epi said...

Great running!

Didn't you fall last year running down south? Need to watch your feet more closely.

I am definitely in for a carbo load - part of the ritual of the last 3 Perth Marathons.

homo said...

Boys, you're talking to an old man - I can't see that far.

Yes, Epi, same thing as last year, limestone gives nasty cuts.

WS said...

Great week. It's certainly the right time to hit the century with 3 weeks to go before the D-day.

trailblazer777 said...

Well done! A century! Did you raise a bat to the crowd? haha seriously though thats an excellent weeks worth at exactly the right time to set you up nicely...way to go! wish I could have done the same...I was hoping to hit 80k+ last week...but didnt. great spirit after the fall in the long run...

I'd like to come to the dinner bandwagon again although work commitments will probably make it impossible...Dont forget the drop the 4kg goal too...

Inspirational sensational stuff...