28 June 2009

Taper Doldrums

Pretty much how the week felt until today.

Ended up with shin splints in the right leg after the HM, so wasn't game to do too much (which in one sense is not bad), but then of course I wanted them to just go away.
Probably did too much fast stuff in the last couple of weeks and I am just glad there's only one week to go:

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: 12ks with 6k at MP
Wednesday: what happened on Wednesday, no idea, the day started, I went to work and then it ended and I didn't even have time to think about running;
Thursday: Same thing as Wednesday...
Friday: Intervals 9ks;
Saturday: Set up the road bike on the Computrainer and did about 25ks on that;
Sunday: 16ks with Clown and Epi - easy run for them, below MP for me.

Shin is sort of ok. It really improved after the bike session and I'll throw in a couple of those sessions in this week just looking for a nice turnover.

Went to Runners World this pm to get some High 5 gels, but they had run out of them. I still need to plan what I'm going to do nutritionwise. Probably go for the minimum so I don't end up with cramps as at Berlin.

All things being equal, I'll try for a 4:50 pace or thereabouts. I'll probably hang on to the 3:30 bus and decide at half way whether I stick with them.

2 comments:

Sling Runner said...

Henry - if you often get cramps, perhaps you want to give salt tablets a try. I am using Succeed caps and Lava Salts but don't know whether they are available in Perth. There are still a few runs this week for you to try them.

All the best!

trailblazer777 said...

See you out there again.
I've decided to give Gels a miss this time, as I dont want to lose time to toilet stops again...
All the best with getting past the mental taper stuff, Ive found the best approach is to try and forget about the marathon a bit, focus on something else in the last week or so a bit...way to go with the Computrainer!