03 August 2008

S.x on a stick

Ok, I'm in trouble.

No doubt the PC police is onto me for using a three-letter word starting with s and ending with x. I may burn in cyber hell for eternity, but so be it. Until they catch me I'll just enjoy it.

Reason for the exhilaration? Well, on Friday I got my new Cervelo P2C DA! For a number of reasons I could not try it out until today. This afternoon, glorious as it was out there, I finally got to ride it and ended up doing a brick session with 20ks on the bike and a 13k marathon pace run (assuming I in fact manage to do 4:45 for the whole distance...)

Before I get distracted by running, let me sing the praises of this technological marvel. I have had a lot of bikes over the years, but this is the most comfortable I have ever ridden. Sure, you sit on it as if you're a duck looking for food underwater, but riding seems so easy. I did a quick run to the office (10ks and back) along Mounts Bay Road, ie. with some tailwind and headwind when going back and easily managed to do 35kmh in both directions.

Not having aerobars before (well, at least not on a performance bike), it took me a few minutes to get used to the idea of not being able to steer. It's terrifying at first, but then I got used to just lying into it and shifting weight more than on the road bike to steer and just keeping a good lookout to change over to the bars since the aero bars have no brakes. No bell on it, either, but even that can be managed with a bit of yahooing.

I can't wait until I get to do a decent ride again.

So back to the focus: 8 weeks to Berlin. Son #1 has just spent the last two weeks in Berlin and has reccied the travel options from the accommodation to the start. Tick that.

Runningwise the week was a bit up and down.
Monday hill session 6x Mt Street, including what I think is a new PB at 1:26.
Tuesday brick session 30' bike and 13ks Level 2.
By Wednesday I had become really tired from last week and the start to this one and took the day off. For one reason or another, ie. work, I couldn't do a run on Thursday. Saturday was my better half's birthday, so no long run then as I was responsible for breakfast with croissants.

Fortunately, I only had a meeting on Friday in the afternoon, so did the 28ks in the morning.
Then Saturday was out as well, but today I put in two sessions, intervals at McGillvray oval in the early morning (freezing it was, I was even wearing gloves!) and then the brick session in the afternoon.

Total for the week 78ks. A bit less than last week, but that's ok since last week I was not on the bike at all, whereas this week I did just over an hour.

Next week will be similar. I'll be doing the first 30k+ level 2 run and otherwise look at hills, intervals and speed.

At this point I feel pretty confident that a race pace of 4:50 is doable, but I'll see whether I can push it to 4:45.

1 comment:

trailblazer777 said...

AeroBars are excellent!
All the best with the Berlin prep looks like you are going very well!, getting some fantastic training momentum there, with good variety in your sessions...way to go!