17 August 2008

It wasn't me - it was Epi!

And many thanks to him for setting the mark high by suggesting I do 41:30 at Lake Joondalup today.

I did not think it was doable, but by the same token I wanted to improve on the 43:15 PB of three weeks ago. So I plugged in 4:09 per k into the 405. So far the 405 has given longer readings on the races so I figured I would have to go a tad faster to make the 41:30.
That's what I did, but clearly I wasn't going to be able to hold the 3:47 I did for the first k, but tried to stay around the 4 minute mark, waiting patiently until I would spontaneously combust.

It didn't happen and I couldn't believe it when the timing box still had a 40 at the front as I approached it. 41:05! Me very happy!

If I did not have other things on my mind, I would try to get this time below 40 even this season. This way, I'll see what I can do next year - given what is on the horizon otherwise.

Now, this was an easy week and I am sure that the taper helped (which I did not have at the Run for Gold).
Monday: Rest;
Tuesday: Mount Street x5 (new PB: 1:21) - 11.48k max Level 4;
Wednesday: LSD Level 2 27k;
Thursday: Rest;
Friday: Intervals with a bit of Level 3 Endurance - 10.2k;
Saturday: Rest;
Sunday: 10k Race, about 4ks warmup and cooldown. Afternoon 41k ride on the beast at 30kmh pace.
Total for the week: 62.8k run, 41k ride.

Next three weeks are going to be heavy workwise as well. In two weeks the C2S Halfmarathon which I plan to run as a marathonpace effort though.

3 comments:

Clown said...

Once again, congrats today. Sub 40 will be on the cards for you next year, you have bigger fish to fry at present.

41k Today on the bike, impressive after the run. Would have been a fantastic arvo to ride.

Epi said...

I'm more than happy to take the credit - but I only set the aspirational goal, the Garmin only told you how fast to run. It was your own mind and body (albeit old :)) that id the PB

Well done!!

(And no bike yet, but I'm wavering)

Sling Runner said...

Great run, Henry ! That's a huge PB.