03 July 2006

One down and hopefully many to go

My legs are still terribly sore, but my spirits are up after finishing my first marathon yesterday - Perth 2006.
I set myself the priorities of starting, finishing, 4 hours, 3:45 and 3:30 (given my performance at the Freo Half three weeks ago).
Coming in at 3:58 I managed three out of five, which is not all too bad.
I set my trusty Fred to 3:30 always intending to fall behind in the first ks to make sure I did not go out too fast.
In the end I probably did anyway as by 32k my thighs just seized up. So the last ks were slow and hard going and many people passed me (not just those fresh guys running the relay!).
Up until then, I was going really well at 5m/k and just on target, but then it fell apart. I thought I had taken enough glucose, but obviously not so.
Epi's graph on his blog looked like mine, just a bit faster, but then he also had a very tough lead up to the race. Here's my comment to his blog.

"Epi -

I didn't realise until today what sort of a horrible lead-up you've had. That makes your effort even greater. Well done!
Pity you couldn't hang on to the cracking pace you set at the beginning.
I think our stories are pretty similar, certainly the graphs look alike with the only difference that my pace was always between 30 & 45 secs slower.
Since yesterday I have been trying to figure out what happened and it may just have been a case of hypoglycaemia. In hindsight I probably did take too little glucose on the way, respectively when it was already too late.
My reading of Noakes last night certainly seems to support that.
Although I certainly wasn't thinking this way after 32k, the experience has made me more determined to prepare better for the Rotto Marathon. Lots of hill work, too!
All the best, Henry"

I'm just waiting for the soreness to go away and then I'll be off and running again.

Rottnest, here I come.

2 comments:

trailblazer777 said...

well done on sub 4!

glucose replacement is important...
I think my 3 hammer gels and flat coke did the job for me...plus 3 powerades...

all the best with your future goals and the blog!

Epi said...

Nice run H!(in retrospect - at the time it was probably not so nice)

I did 3:56 in my first last year in exactly the same fashion. It's reassuring to read posts from people running their first marathons to see this is commonplace (see some of the GC posts on CR)

I dont know about the glucose thing - I had heaps there in bottles but near the end just wanted water. Theres a limit to what you can replace, probably for both of us still about not enough long training and still running too hard too early.

Epi

Good luck at Rotto - might go there for the 10k, otherwise make sure you post about it.

Epi