31 July 2006

All bad things come in threes or fours or whatever


Last week was a complete write-off, as I could not get out for a run until today because of this bug I picked up.
By this morning I thought I would be ok and set off for 25k to the river and the beach at 5am.
So the lack of training was problem no.1.
Problem no. 2 was the fact that the Polar's battery gave up and therefore I had to make it ready to send it away to replace the battery. What a cumbersome system to have to send it to SA to have a battery changed. Not very consumerfriendly!
The third problem came with the top of the right foot starting to hurt like hell within 15 minutes of setting off. 
Numerous breaks to change the lacing did not make much of a difference.
The whole run was very painful and in any event after 20k I was pretty much shot. Haven't felt like that for a long time, excluding the marathon.
Oh yes, the fourth thing: tinea cruris, or jock itch. How painful is that and certainly not a good idea when running distances.
After trundling home for breakfast (after nearly three hours!), I had a short sleep and then Anna wanted to run around Lake Monger with Flo doing the support on his bike. 
Despite the pain in the right foot, I donned the new Frees and went along with them. Quite slowly, but relaxing and in the end I felt there was still some running in me left.
A rest day tomorrow and then intervals on Tuesday.

1 comment:

Epi said...

Homo,
Not sure how old your Polar is, but when the battery ran out on mine (this was pre Garmin) I just opened it up nd put in a new watch battery from Tandy Electronics.

Worked fine, may have voided the warranty and impaired the waterproofing but my brother in law has been using it the last 3 months without problem.

Hope you get back on track for Rotto

EPI