13 July 2006

Easy does it

Knowing a few other runners is making a difference, if only because of the encouragement I'm getting. So thanks TB & Epi for your comments.
Last week I laid off entirely, but by Saturday I couldn't sit still. So I went out for an easy 15ks on Saturday only to come back with an unknown pulling pain on the outside of my right hip. That stayed until late Sunday and started to worry me.
Nevertheless, I started drawing up a plan to prepare for Rottnest along the FIRST program, bearing in mind that at my age (come on guys, I was the oldest at the table!) injuries come by much quicker. The only thing that's not quick is me.
Anyway, I've got only three fixed running days, one for intervals, one tempo and one long run and the others I'll use for rest or cross-training (although I suspect I might pop in the odd run).
Tuesday's interval was good, with just a bit of pulling in the hip. I was of course mindful not to overdo it and the times were not flash.
I also assume that running a marathon does turn your muscles into mush as they still do not feel as strong and responsive as they did before the marathon.
Yesterday, I went to Bold Park at 6am (freezing) and did an easy 1.5ks. I still marvel how fast these other guys can go.
And today was the tempo run through Kings Park, which I made a bit more interesting by including five runs up Mount Street to have some hill training included.
The hip is fine.
So tomorrow I plan to hit the water again for 1.6ks and I want to build that up over the next couple of weeks to 2 - 2.5ks.
Next week, I'll take a few days off and will have a bit more time to enjoy the running, rather than to have to rush it in the morning as I do now.
Being school holidays no-one in my household gets up before 7 anyway, so I'm the lone ranger anyway - well, apart from the dog and the cat, but they're no use as far as running goes.

No comments: