30 March 2008

Is Fred dead?

As predicted, whilst being the start of the taper, this last week was still "heavy" in my books. Total of 58.6ks.

After intervals at the start of the week, I even managed to do two MP sessions totalling 20ks on Thursday.

I then followed that up with a 25k tempo run (ie. 4:56/k) yesterday morning. The intention was to sharpen up the tempo to just under MP and I well and truly managed that. So, guess what, I'm really happy.

Well, if it wasn't for Fred, the Forerunner. Charged him full on Friday, but come Saturday am, he was not even blinking. Put him on the charger and after a while he woke up to say battery empty! Fortunately, I still have the old Fred 101 and he was ready to go with enough battery power (particularly as it was 4:45am and if I had to look for batteries, I would have woken up just about everyone in the house and not been very popular for the rest of the day).

So whilst I could not download the results and clearly the 101 is not as accurate as the 305, he did the trick.

Now the strange thing is that after charging the 305 all day and taking him off last night, he is fully charged today.

Beats me what happened. Maybe Fred just did not want to be woken up that early, was sick of my enthusiasm or whatever. But I will definitely take both with me to Canberra, just in case.

I also tried out the drinks and decided that I will go with that fashion statement of a FuelBelt (NOT!) after all.
I thought I could plonk a 330ml bottle into one of the pockets in a tri top (the idea being that Anna would hand me replacement bottles on the course), but it bounces around like bunny chased by a fox. I managed to stick it into one of the side pockets, which was not too great as imbalanced, but it got even worse as after 10ks I noticed that it had started to chafe my back.
I will see whether I can get better bottles for the belt as the ones that come with the FuelBelt are useless. At least I don't manage to drink out of them without looking like a three month old slobbering all over my front.
I also went to buy a couple of sachets of High 5 and whilst there is nothing disagreeable about it, I haven't quite figured out whether they will be serving the isotonic or the energy drink at Canberra.
In either case, my Endura/HJ mix covers me for both with the addition of a few gels. So I'll stick with that.

This week a few quick runs to keep the speed up and an easy 15 or 16k run on Saturday and that will be about it.

I won't do much week after next except for the 5k run on Saturday in which I'll just plod alongside Anna - she's not a speedster, so that will just loosen me up for the next morning.


Powered by ScribeFire.

1 comment:

Epi said...

You're right - we did run very similar weeks. Your pace looks spot on - only about 10sec/km behind mine - 3:20-3:25 territory.

Rob & Tracey are staying at Rydges Captial Hill, as am I ( I get in Friday night, Robs arriving a couple of days earlier). We aren't going to the pasta dinner either so we should try to meet up somewhere for dinner.

I cant believe you've turned to the dark side of FuelBelt! Hope you dont wear an all in one lycra tri-suit with it :). Having said that, if an official wants to be pedantic, you cant have a friend/family member pass you a drink under official rules, which would matter for Boston qualifying. So a self sufficient strategy sounds good. You can always fill the bottles with water from the stations in the latter part of the race.

I am pretty sure they are using the High5 isotonic as the energy drink has caffeine and I doubt they'd use that for everyone just in case someone has an intolerance.

We are looking at doing a 'dress rehearsal' 15k or so 'round the river next sunday if you are interested. We go from near clubrooms about 7am.

Craig