24 March 2008

Yoho, here we go!

I am in a good mood, quite obviously!
Three weeks to Canberra and things seem to be clicking into place.
Looking at my mileage (what mileage?) I will be underdone, but at this stage I prefer that to having done too much and having risked burnout or worse, injury.
The last couple of weeks I average a mere 50ks a week and I know that is not much, but after battling with my head so often, I have now got over that hump and am very positive about it.

My base is solid (8 runs >30ks since the beginning of the year, peaking at 38ks) and the right knee is occasionally niggly, but no more than that on the run itself. A bit stiff during the day after a heavy run, but that is about it.

Yes, you guys will be specks in the distance (assuming I wear glasses), but that's ok. I am currently not setting the bar very high. If I manage to better my PB (3:38 - not much to work off, he, he), I'll be happy. If not, at least I will have a good base to work off for Perth.
And if I don't manage to break 3:30 there, I still have more than two months until Berlin.

I had a great 33.5k run on Saturday morning. I spent a little while on Friday working out the nutrition and it all worked out nicely on the run. All I need to do is transfer it onto the Canberra plan. I am fairly confident I can do a 5:10 average which should bring me home exactly on time.

I have spent more time on the Adistars and they are just wonderful. I have already ordered a second pair and will consign my other runners to gardening duties. Since I am a lousy gardener, I now have enough shoes to last me a lifetime.

So, now onto tapering.

I think I am going to give myself a comparatively heavy week this week, focussing on intervals and tempo with a short 20-25k run on Saturday.

Next week I plan on doing short but quick bursts and throw in some riding and possibly some swimming. An easy long run of less than 20k on the Saturday should then round it all off, apart from some Fartlek runs in the week before the marathon.
I think that should do it.

Lots of sleep, too.

Workwise, it also seems to fall into place. One trial next week and otherwise just small stuff.

Onya guys, we'll have a blast!


Powered by ScribeFire.

1 comment:

Epi said...

My heart skipped a beat this week when there was another skydiving accident!

Three weeks to go, 3 PBs in the offing.

Fortis fortuna adiuvat