24 February 2008

Mental as Anything

Similar to last week, the training this week had more to do with keeping my mind in check.
The start to the week was sluggish, ie I had so much going on in my head workwise that running was simply not a priority.
By Wednesday, this excruciating trial was over and with that the stress levels had dropped. From there on I managed to get some decent endurance/hill training done and intervals the next day.
Then a day's worth of rest and a whole blood donation.
On Friday I was really looking forward to a long run but it was really tough. What I forgot as I was slugging it out on Saturday morning was that I was missing a pint of blood, so no wonder I had to pump that little bit more. Anyway, I am now taking a break from apheresis and whole blood donations and will go back to that no later than after the Perth Marathon.
I did 38k at a pace of 5:43 with the heart rate just nudging level 2. That is actually considerably better than the figures for the 32k run four weeks ago.

I suppose I should be happy. And in reality I am. Although I will never be fast, the consistent tempo and interval training is now paying off. Whilst I may not crack 3:30 at Canberra, for Perth it should be possible.

Apart from a tweak now and then, the knee is as new.

Total distance this week was 67.5. Earlier in the year I thought I would get up to about 80ks a week, but I think I'll give this a miss and rather add a bit of time on the bike so as to take the strain off the joints.

Now, where did I leave these entry forms for Canberra?


Powered by ScribeFire.

1 comment:

trailblazer777 said...

Excellent! All the best with Canberra! Wise move IMO to do some bike sessions.