02 February 2008

I need an easy week

The last three weeks have been busy and interesting.

Running wise I managed to do three weeks of intensity training - just!
Today's long run was tough as my legs were dead. Didn't even feel my knees on the whole 33ks which I suppose is a good thing.
The truth is that yesterday's speed session together with a short night just did not allow me to recover. By now I should know that I need a day's rest before and after a long run.

As a result, this run was all about toughening it out mentally. The head was there, the heart was pumping but the legs went awol. So I found myself pushing myself with the heart rate being just barely going to 60%max, really strange. I think I hit 70% three times during the entire run.

Even if from the physical perspective that run was not quite right, certainly mentally the run was beneficial.
But I am really looking forward to an easy week.

I did have a bit of a rough spot (mentally) in the middle week, which explains a slightly lower mileage:
Week of 14 January: 65.28k - 6 hrs 22 mins
Week of 21 January: 56.88k - 5 hrs 46 mins
Week of 28 January: 65.05k - 6 hrs 41 mins

Pretty sad figures compared with the impressive stats of the young guns, Epi and Clown, but I am just happy that my knees are still attached.

Oh, did I mention that I have been distracted by yet another project (that's the Gemini in me) - getting my skydiving A licence. That means that I spend a fair amount of time out at York, predominantly sitting and waiting for the wind to die down... not very attractive running country out there :-((!




Powered by ScribeFire.

2 comments:

Clown said...

Homo, it is those mentally tough runs that will get you to the finish line. Great to hear that the knees are holding up and the k's are building.

Good luck with the training, may catch up at Matilda Bay, otherwise bring on Canberra.

Sky diving-great effort, sound fun.

Epi said...

We were getting worried by your not posting for a couple od weeks!

I echo Clown's comments - great to see the training going well. I went skydiving once - that was enough for me!

See you soon - ?Matilda Bay next weekend if you're not jumping out of a plane