07 July 2008

Surprises

The start to the week was quite slow, thanks to the bug that decided to like me very much. I was still popping pills on Monday and Tuesday and generally did not feel up to it.
Overall I thought that I would not be able to keep up with the planned schedule and whilst to some extent that was true, it only really affect the bike and swim workouts.
Swim - 0, Bike - 50 minutes instead of 80, no strength training, but a bit more than planned on running.
I hesitated doing heavy work early in the week and also decided to split the long run into two 90 minute sessions. Whilst that is not perfect, it is way better than getting injured or otherwise kicking the system around too much.
So on Tuesday I put in an level 3 session for 35 mins, on Wednesday 63 mins hills (including a few runs up Mount Street with a best at 1:30), Thursday long run 92 mins, Saturday long run 90 mins and on Sunday a brick session 50mins on the bike and 45 mins run, both at level 2/3.
Total running mileage: a surprising 57ks!
I do think I have deteriorated quite significantly aerobically, but even though the heel still hurts occasionally (going downhill) I am at the mileage just prior to the taper for Canberra.
12 weeks to Berlin, that is a time frame I should be able to focus on.
Other than that, I will do more swimming and riding, but they are not the priorities, just yet.
I was watching the best part of IM Europe yesterday afternoon. What these guys do is just awesome. Swimming close to Hackett's time, riding at 42km/h like the pros and to top it off doing a marathon in under 3h. Chapeau!
I think if I manage below 13h, I'll be extremely happy!
But that's a long shot, I'll have just over 12 months to train for that. Whether I'll manage to keep it up, is an entirely different question.

No comments: