25 May 2008

Feel the Heel Part 3 or: 20/20 for Dummies

Healing the heel (ha, ha, guys, at least you're getting a bit of joy out of this ...) has proven not to be as easy as I thought. I shouldn't have jumped out that plane, you say. How true, how true.... but not half as exciting.

We live and learn and ..... forget!

Three weeks out from the tumble and the heel still has not cleared up completely. Having said that, the heel itself is no longer the real problem. At present the fascia is much more painful when I run and particularly first thing in the morning. I wonder whether I might have picked up an injury there as well, which has so far simply been masked by the pain in the heel.
Also, after longer runs I end up with sore calves.

That on the other hand is not necessarily a bad thing (so maybe having this injury was a blessing in disguise (now for a pun in French: le talon blessé!)), as for a long time I have tried to improve my stride by striking mid-foot rather than with the heel. The injury has forced me to do that (painfully) and I may get that wish granted after all. It does put a bigger strain on the calves though.

Compared with what I felt last week (after 15ks), today was not too bad after yesterday's 17ks.

This week I managed to do 30ks and have also gone back to the pool. I certainly have suffered a set-back and in reality I will have to leave the Perth Marathon aside. Again, that may not be so bad. After all, Berlin is much more important to me than Perth.
It's now 6 weeks to Perth and 18 weeks to Berlin.
In reality am not going to get ready for Perth and if I tried, there would be a good chance of either pulling another injury or not resolving the current problem.
Therefore preparing for Berlin is now a much bigger priority. Sorry, guys, I'll watch you from the sidelines.
I suppose if someone wanted to do the relay, that would be an option. I'd be fine doing half of it in any combination.

I still plan to do the Perth HM, if only to see where I stand. That is now three weeks out, so hopefully I will have the foot under control.
Fortunately I have little Court commitments in the next few weeks (except for the next few days), so that will allow me to get into a routine with more time on the bike and in the pool.
Oh, yes, and did I mention that my daughter has convinced me to do an Ironman? Busselton December 2009, she will crew me. I suspect though that she will be busy at leavers and in any event only wants to me to shave my legs so she can make fun of me....

Hmmmm, daughters.......

2 comments:

Clown said...

Sorry to hear about the heel, you're right though in getting it completely better so you can focus on Berlin and what a marathon that should be. Spending a bit of the time on the bike should help a fair bit on the aerobic side, just when you do go for a run, take it easy.

All the best

trailblazer777 said...

Yes Berlin a much bigger fish to fry. and yeah bike and swim, will give the heel the rest it needs to heal...