20 April 2008

Fred is well and truly dead

Fred RIP.
Having tried all button combinations, reloaded all software and tried again, I have come to accept that Fred is dead. He does start up when plugged in on the cradle, but as soon as I take him off, he goes off.

I read up on a variety of sites, but there is no hope of it coming to life again. I suppose I could send it to Taiwan to have it checked out, but frankly, I don't think it's worth it.

He has served me well and held out to let me complete the Canberra Marathon with it. Well done, Fred!

So for now I am back to Fred Snr (the faithful one) and the Polar HRM. A bit cumbersome and not as accurate, but it will do for now.

For now is the time between now and when future "Fred" arrives. Silly as I am, I have ordered a brandspanking new Forerunner 405. It's not due out for another couple of weeks and I do hope that they have sorted out any teething problems.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a name for the new model?

Garmin is due to set up an Australian branch office in July, so that should make any warranty claims easier to deal with (boy, do I have confidence in the product...).

And otherwise in the news, I have recovered quite well from the Marathon. We spent another couple of days in Canberra and then three days in Sydney and did a fair amount of walking. That was painful at first, particularly up and down stairs and every time we started walking again after a break, but otherwise good to keep the muscles going.
The right knee was a bit painful at times, but this has settled down again.

Tomorrow I'll be starting with the road to Perth. A bit of speed work and I will also ride the bike to work.

Let's see whether I'll manage to break the 3:30 barrier in July!



Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: