01 November 2007

Lazarus rises! Oh, yeah!

More than four weeks have passed since the op and I am quite happy with the progress.
The word from the orthopod was not to run for four weeks, so now I'm allowed to go out again. Not that I had been sooo good, I have gone out a couple of times after the three week mark, including the 5k fun run on Rottnest.
Except for the inordinate time to finally end up on the op table on the day and then to wait for the spinal block to go away, the experience was excellent. I watched the whole thing on the monitor and got the running commentary on what was going on and as a special bonus got to take away pictures and a videotape of the surgery.
Yes, it was a bit frustrating to see the people who had opted for a GA to walk out within a couple of hours of coming out of the OT, but getting my toes to wiggle again was an experience by itself.
After that I had some time off, but the only thing I really did not do is put my feet up. I joined a gym and worked out religiously with as little stress on the knee as possible. It has certainly been worth it.
So now I'm planning to put a program together that will see me doing the Canberra Marathon next year.
Last week I did 30ks all up. Knee was just a tad tight, but that was it.
Then 14ks on Monday and that was a bit much so since then it's just been the gym. But there is no rush.
I also want to learn swimming properly and have started with the Total Immersion program. Quite tough, but I think it'll be worth it.

3 comments:

Epi said...

Nice to see you back!

I've been seriously thinking of doing Canberra next year. I grew up there til 15 years old so plenty of family there, and I seem to peak earlier in the year.

Hope to see you at some events

Craig

trailblazer777 said...

All the best with movin on up again, with the swimming, and gym and easing back into running.

Sounds like you are off to a good start in the rehab, and no major complications. Navy bloke I played tennis with (see my blog) said he would like to do Canberra one day, and I might do it sometime too, but most likely 2009 or later for me. Its probably one of the major ones in Australia after GC,Melbourne, and Sydney. All the best with getting up for that. I'll be interested to see how you go in the next few weeks and months as I hope to get my knees done one day maybe too.

Sling Runner said...

Great to see you back running !! Hope you'll come back heathier and stronger.

cheers