09 September 2007

Lazarus rises?

Today I had a lousy run, but then, at least I had one.
In fact, I nearly went up to Kings Park for 8am to sign up for the 15k Pancake run, but then decided against it.
Instead, I left home at seven, passed by the start of the run (they were just setting up, so only a few runs) and got home having done only 6.5k.
On the other hand, at least I am running.
The orthopod did say that I could do no more damage and whether or not to have the op really was up to me entirely and how I felt about running with the knee as it is.
So, even though I was terribly underdone, I thought I might just head out for the City to Surf. I had done all of 2x 6.5k runs in the last two months, so yes, I certainly was not up to doing a quick time.
When I picked up the race number I was a bit embarrassed to say yes when the lady at the counter asked me whether I was still going to run in Group B, meaning I was aiming at doing a time of at least 58mins.
I said yes and I can say quite happily that I met the challenge. Although a few times I was very close to veering to the left and going home I just made it in 57:59! Actually I'm quite chuffed.
The following week I did a 12k run round Kings Park and then decided to do the Perth HM.
Again, completely underdone (boy, did my calves hurt afterwards) I headed out and managed to do it in 1:47.30. Admittedly, having Wife and little one cheering me on (and me scoring a kiss) at the half way mark did help.
So, overall, being 5.5 mins and 11 mins slower than last year at C2S and Perth HM respectively was not too bad.
This week, I did close to 13k on Wednesday and got on the bike into work on Friday and the knee is doing ok. Hurts, but it hasn't fallen off.
So having a bit of trouble this morning is not really a great drama.
Given how much work I've got on, I am actually looking forward to 27/9. At least I can tell everyone that I am just not going to be around.
Tomorrow I'll do the "bike thing" again and then we'll see what I feel like.
I'll also be looking to sign up for a rehab program at a gym Wifey has found so that I am adequately prepared pre-op for post-op.

2 comments:

trailblazer777 said...

Arise Lazarus from your sleep and go run the race of life once more!

Great runs in the City to Surf and Perth Half Marathon given the little training. he fire still burning in the belly for sure by those times.

Maybe you should do what I have done many times and get on the bike and/or swimming,crosstraining,weights, hiking, other sports etc to keep the knee under control as much as possible, and be very selective about when you run.
All the best with getting the surgery done, one day I might go and get my knees done I have been running with them since 2000.

Great to catch up briefly after the Perth Half, and hope to see you at 6-inch if not this year maybe next year.
Well done!

Sling Runner said...

Henry,

It's been a pleasure knowing you. I've left Perth and now relocated to Singapore. Pls keep in touch and happy running.

http://slingrunner.blogspot.com/