02 March 2009

Oh, just bugger it! aka every problem is an opportunity

Eventually old age was going to catch up with me, again, or so I thought with my right knee going. But as it happens that one is fine but the left one now giving me grief.

After bumbling about for six weeks I dragged myself off on Tuesdday to the GP who just confirmed that the meniscus in that one looks pretty shot.

So off to the orthopod on 10/3 and presumably he'll want to see an MRI and will tell me that as long as I am not bothered, there is no need to go into it. Predictably, I will be bothered and will want to have it fixed.

That's the bad part, the good part is that having my fears confirmed, I thought to myself, well, bugger it, thinking that before the last surgery I did the Perth HM and the C2S on virtually no training and quite enjoyed it.

So I put a bit of mileage in this week:
Tuesday Run 13k @ 5:11 HR 144
Thursday Run 13k @ 5:18 HR 145
Friday Ride 22k @ 2:06 HR 125
Sunday Run 15.3k @ 5:25 HR 148
Today Ride 70k @ 2:17 HR 121

The heart rate for the runs is a bit high, more in endurance territory than base as it should be now, but I felt comfortable and just going out was more important than watching the heart rate all the time. As I ran in the evening, the humidity and heat did not really help either.

On Sunday I happened to run for a while with John Annear who is training for Ironman China and gave me a couple of useful tips re swimming traing (Clown, you will hear more about this). I have now been told he is a famous former West Coast Eagle and physio so I suspect he knows his stuff.

This morning's ride was a shocker - at least on the way down from Scarborough to South Fremantle - the wind was strong and blustery and a couple of times I feared I was going to be blown off the bike - that obviously did not help with the speed.

So, how's the knee: pretty good actually, well apart from being swollen and painful, but since it is a dull pain. As long as I don't extend or flex it and turn on it, it's quite bearable.

For now, I intend to keep up a decent run every second day with a ride thrown in here and there. Until I know exactly what is going to happen, I think I'll leave out anything heavy such as speed work and intervals.

1 comment:

trailblazer777 said...

thats the spirit....
yes john A is a famous WC eagle and also with sportsmed I think...one of the best people you can talk to about injuries in the state I would suspect...
thats a great week! you should do the Freeway bikehike 60km on March 22nd then? I'm planning on being there...
With my messed up left acl, and dodgy right meniscus I can relate a little...just have to manage the training/racing with the treatment, as I do, and as most elite athletes do....
all the best with the difficult mix, and the emotional rollercoaster that goes with it...